Sunday, February 28, 2010

Yo!! Welcome to my Crib.

We have finally taken the plunge and purchased something for Blasto: a crib. It was delivered in a big box, which made Adam a little intimidated (because he is not a strong builder of things). So, we opened it up, and dispursed all the items throughout the room in preperation for the building of the Blasto Crib.Camille was there in a supervisory role. Or, more specifically, as the task master, telling Adam what and how to do things.You can clearly see Adam forcing a smile as he reads the instructions and claims, "This can't be that hard, it is a four sided crib!!" However, as he looked closer at the instructions he got more and more nervous. Note: They were the most poorly written instructions that anyone on the earth could have ever imagined. We kept having to look at the picture on the box and then at the instructions to make sure we were putting the thing together correctly.Adam still forcing a smile as he screws all the little pieces in. He really struggled with the little tiny tools the crib came with. He would begin to screw something in and would either drop the wrench or it would slip out of its spot. Note: No fits of anger were thrown in the making of this crib...just awkward and forced smiles.Adam showing off his tiny Allen Wrench that caused him much heartache. He was claiming the Allen Wrench was his sworn enemy, and it was either his blood or the wrench's that would be spilt by the end of the day.It slowly took form with only two minor screw ups (no pun intended). Overall, despite the really crappy instructions, Adam did a pretty good job. By the end he yelled, "Bob Vila ain't got nothing on me!!!"The finished product. Actually, right when we finished the door bell rang and it was the UPS man deliving the bedding. So, we went right in and put it on...you know, to make sure it didn't look funny...or too girly, which was Adam's top concern. He really wanted transformers or G.I. Joe sheets, but Camille told him those are only for big boy beds...then Adam asked if he could have some transformers or G.I. Joe sheets on his bed. Camille told him you are old. Adam cried a little.Blasto's bed is now ready...he will come home from the hospital naked (because we have not bought anything else), but at least he will have a place to sleep.After we finished up with the crib, we ran some errands around town. One of our stops landed us at the grocery store. Adam came running up to Camille and said, "OH MY GOSH!! They already have Easter candy, and they have Cadberry hard shelled chocolate eggs!!" For those of you who have never had them...you are missing out on a great treat.So, we bought a couple of bags and have gorged ourselves ever sense. An early start on the Easter candy never hurt anyone...right?
A quick story as to why we call the boy Blasto. When we first learned of the pregnancy we read all the books about what the baby looks like, and what he is doing at each stage. In the begining, when the cells first split, the baby is nothing more than a blastocyst. Adam thought this was pretty cool and that it sounded like a superhero. Ever since we have called the boy, Blasto, because of his humble beginings. Also, we have really struggled coming up with a name...so, it is easier to just say Blasto.

14 comments:

Camille said...

The crib and bedding look great -- not too girly at all.

Unknown said...

I almost cried reading this post (because of laughter). I HATE allen wrenches (3 piece nursery 3 pages of directions (mostly what the parts looked like) and crappy pictures). They really are a tool of the devil. You guys crack me up. I love reading your blog. Blasto is a pretty luck kid. And I really like your crib bedding. Also, I read the word blastocyst and automatically thought of trilobite. Huh...

Lori said...

Oooh, the crib looks great! And yeah, as a former professional technical writer myself- I just can't believe the stuff that is included as "instructions" for things. It's just ridiculous, I mean really.
That's way fun that the bedding showed up right when the crib was finished. You've now bought yourselves a few months of downtime before you need to go crazy buying stuff, so congrats!

Annie said...

The crib and bedding look great! I bet you can't wait to have little Blasto sleeping in it. How long do you think Blasto will stick? I do think it's a pretty manly name to go with his future manly G.I. Joe sheets with the red tackle box hidden under his bed so he can play with them without anyone knowing.

alliehoopes said...

love the bedding! where did it come from, not-adam? you guys need to make friends with ikea. i have such a collection of mini tools.

Kinsey Pistorius said...

love the crib and the bedding! thanks for the story behind Blasto - it's hilarious as always. I'm afraid you'll probably call him that for a while because any "real name" you pick out will sound too old for him at first. But eventually, it'll grow on you. Good luck with the name hunt! :)

Jody said...

LOVE the crib and the bedding!! Great job you two! Glad that you two have already enjoyed the WONDERFUL eggs!! Our house has too! Can't wait for little BLASTO to arrive so we can spoil him!!

Camille said...

You may be out of luck for the sarma recipe, sorry... we sorta ruined it while making the sarma. But ask Micah about it - he might remember where he found it (he brought it home from school). It had cabbage in it. Lots of cabbage. Does that help? :)

Debbie and Bobby said...

hahah! I'm laughing because I just got done shoving a bunch of those cadberry eggs in my mouth. I had no intention of buying them when I went to the store but they were calling out my name mmm they are so good.

Jadi said...

The crib looks great! I love the bedding colors. I also love how you refer to the baby as Blasto, so funny!!!

Shannon said...

So proud of you! You have now entered the "real" world/ I'm so sorry... :) Lots more ahead!

PS I've given up on blogging!...its too hard and takes too much time! :( I'm very sad it has come to that...

M and M said...

Crib looks great (and like a lot of hard work). Our little girl is doing great! Not sleeping much but she's cute enough now that she can get away with it. And yes, we got the idea from Scrubs.

Matt

Nicole said...

First of all, love the crib. And congrats on getting it together. SEriously, we hated the night we put ours together!
Okay, Camille, here's all the fabric info. I bought it on etsy from fabricworm.etsy.com
It's kind of pricey...but it's comparable to what you'll pay for any designer fabric. It's the Groovy Guitars line (in lagoon) for Michael Miller. Here is the direct link to all of the fabrics I purchased in the line: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=42192911
They are all listed and photoed. The only one I didn't purchase that is in the picure is ta dot teal. (the small teal dots) which I kind of wish I had gotten that one instead of the big teal dots because the ring around them is brown and I didn't realize that. I'm lame, but that's the only brown in the quilt and that kind of bugs me. but I'm sure it will look good when it's all together. :) Good luck, and let me know if you find some cute patterns, I still can't decide on one. I don't want to cut the fabric into such small pieces that you can'ttell what it is anymore! :) Anyways, good luck. We're so excited for you guys!!! And maybe we'll finally get to meet you and Blasto at the same time!
ps this fabric line has been out for about a year...so the sooner you get it the better. Once fabric is gone, they don't bring it back. crazy. But this online seller had a lot and there are othe sellers on etsy who carry it. Let me know if you have ANY questions! (and I don't have your email, that's why this is all in blog comments!)

Nicole said...

Camille, I'm so glad you found something!! What fabrics did you end up getting?!!