If you haven't noticed to this point, we have taken a picture of Camille every four weeks of her pregnancy...and we cannot believe this could be the last one. Camille has reached the uncomfortable, get this baby out of me, stage. She gets up four to five times a night to go to the bathroom or to have a visit from her good friend, Braxton Hicks. Which, hasn't been the worst thing to happen. The worst thing to happen is that she put a water proof mattress cover on our bed in case her water breaks in the night. Adam HATES the cover. It feels like one is sleeping on a giant diaper. Last night Adam said he felt like he was in Pampers heaven. It even sounds like a diaper. Oh, the joys of pre-parenthood...sleeping on giant diapers.
Part of Camille's little nasty nesting ways has been to create a "Car Seat Canopy," She got the idea from pretty much every mom in Utah, but also Adam's sister's good friend, Kara (If you followed that) helped with the planning. Camille slaved away at the sewing machine for a few weeks. The finished product is well worth it. Adam calls it a hot box, and is very worried about Blasto being stuck in a small, covered location with a dirty diaper (hence, hot box). Despite its cuteness, it could be a stink bomb waiting to happen. We will tolerate simply because the cuteness factor outweighs the stinkiness.
The underneath part (not sure if that is the technical term) is a different pattern. Adam was worried that it was too girly, so Camille tried to get neutral patterns. We are both happy with the finished product. Blasto can now be a little cowboy baby in his little covered wagon. Adam now wants to name him either John Wayne the Duke Phillips or Clint Eastwood Cheif Red Tomahawk Phillips. Camille said both names are offensive in so many ways. The name search continues for our little pilgrim.
In other shocking news....Adam acutally did well in a pinewood derby (He took third and was awarded a trophy consisting of a matchbox car screwed onto some wood). When Adam was young, he and his brothers always got very excited about doing the pinewood derby. Heck, what little boy isn't!! However, the Phillips family is not known for their skills with a saw. Generally, their dad would saw off the front part at a slant, and their Grandpa would carve the specific stuff with his pocket knife. The boys would paint it, and then to top it off, a GIANT metal washer would be glued to the top for weight. Not the most attractive vehicle on the track...nor the fastest. Every year Adam's mom would sit him and his brothers down and say, "You all have lots of wonderful talents...but, pinewood derby is not one of them. So, when...I mean, if you lose today, have fun and DO NOT CRY!!"
So, when Adam was asked to do a car along with all the young men he works with at church, he decided to turn the tables a little....He totally cheated. He told Camille he had never won, but wanted one day to make his mom proud of winning a pinewood derby. So, he ran down to Ace Hardware and purchased as many metal washers (in honor of his Grandpa) and super glued them all over his car. It actually looked cool!! Then he greased the heck out of his axles. In the picture below, he held up the scout sign and told Camille, "On my honor, I will do my best, to do my duty, and I will do all the cheating I possibly can so I can win one pinewood derby in my life!!"
Here is his car. He called it Mr. Roboto, however, as the night went on, it took on many names, such as: The widowmaker, wing nut, black sabbath, Midnight Run, Your Mom, The Shadow, Deacon's Death March, and The Machine. In the end it weighed around two pounds (Official regulation size for a real pinewood derby car is no more than 4 ounces).
Camille was so happy for Adam and his victory, she quickly took an artsy picture showing off both the trophy and the car. As soon as Adam walked in the house he ran straight for the phone to tell his mom he had finally won!!! No more tears to be shed over pinewood derby!!
15 comments:
Oh camille, I LOOOOVE the belly. You have such a cute shape, you're rockin' it!
Adam, I really like your pinewood derby car. I even showed it to sam and he thoroughly approved.
I'm sorry you guys aren't enjoying the plastic cover on your bed, but for the record... my water did break at 1am just after I'd fallen asleep. When I say break, I don't mean leaked. It was pretty intense and though we did our best to clean everything the best we could- we haven't fully trusted our mattress ever since.
I wish you both the very best of luck in the weeks to come. They can be brutal, but holding out until the baby is good and ready is always best... keep the faith!
This is it! You are almost done! And the funny thing - this will seem like the longest 4 weeks of your life. And Braxton Hicks and I are best buds. He can be a jerk though and stay a little too long. :) Good luck! Can't wait to see pictures of Menden-Hall Pita Phillips!
hysterical! congrats on the win and a great design! Blasto is so lucky that you learned this skill before he becomes a scout. Camille is indeed well-prepared - I've never bought one of those covers for our bed. I guess I was rolling the dice on that one! :)
cute carseat cover...and they really are great...though you guys are lucky to be having blasto in the summer!
The car seat canopy turned out really cute! Congratulations on winning the pinewood derby, Adam!
It was SO fun seeing Camille Saturday!! The trophy is quite desireable...u may need to hide it when I come over!!:) Good job that's fun... your car rocked!
Blasto is set, mom can sew really cute things and dad can make a mean cheating pinewood derby car!! What more could a boy ask for? Can not wait for the boy to arrive!! Maybe he will be Hankies twin? It will be interesting to see since everyone was convinced Hankie was your son (in looks.)
You're looking great Camille! Sorry about sleeping on "diapers" but speaking from experience...you'll be glad you have it on your bed if your water breaks in the night!! Congrats on the win, Adam!!
You guys are so great! Camille, you have to be one of the cutest pregnant people ever. Seriously. I am so excited for you guys. Love the car Adam, and I LOOOVE the carseat cover. I have not even started a single sewing project, what is wrongwith me?! This post made me want to hop up and do it!! I have that same white and gray polka dot and I LOVE it.
As for your suggestion Adam, I am glad that it has been 10 years so I can laugh with you. BUt you're still in trouble. haha. Good luck naming your guy and feel free to use any of my ideas. :)
gee I wish I looked as good as Camille at 36 weeks! Adam, ha! I love the car!
The car seat cover is so cute! You will love it. They are a great deterrent to keep people from touching your baby. :0
And...way to go Adam. Every kids needs a dad who can build a winning pinewood derby car.
Sorry, this is a response to adam's comment he made on my blog:
Though I was a token member of your boys' apartment, I myself never actually lived in liberty square, lol. Come to think of it- I probably should have given you guys a proper shout out though :)
You are so funny for buying a waterproof mattress cover. I never even THOUGHT of that, and I've had 8 pregnancies. Hilarious! Cool-looking derby car. If you'd run it by our house, Micah could have painted a little Y on the side.
I thought "Blasto" was the chosen name. Oh, congrats on the car. Very impressive
Adam- SO good to hear from you! Wow you guys are having a baby....Congrats! So exciting! You guys will love being parents. I will make sure to check into your blog more often! Hope to hear from you guys again!
Post a Comment